With millions of burglaries reported in the United States, it is easy to see that homeowners have a lot of work to do to in making their homes secure. While installing a home security system is one of the best things you can do to protect your home and your family, there are additional measures you can take to deter burglars from breaking into your home.
Some of the most effective ways to deter burglars are some of the most obvious, but also easy to overlook and forget:
- Ensure everyone in the family closes and locks the garage door each time it is used
- Lock your doors and windows, even if you are just working in the yard. For example, lock the front door if you are working in the backyard.
- Even if you are taking a quick trip to the store, arm your alarm system.
- Don’t leave a spare house key in typical hidden places; burglars know where to look! Instead, give your key to a trusted neighbor.
- Lock your upstairs windows and balcony doors. Just because these entry points are above the ground does not mean they are off limits to a burglar. All it takes is a ladder to reach them!
- If you have window air conditioners, secure them against burglars.
- If you have cat or dog doors, secure them. These doors can provide a way to your home for burglars.
- Take a look at your entry doors. Is there glass around the doorknob area? If so, this creates an easy entry for burglars. All they have to do is smash the glass around the knob, reach in and unlock the door and let themselves in.
Use these tips to further secure your home against burglars.
About Best Security Products
Best Security Products can help you choose a Honeywell home alarm system that will protect your family. Are you ready for peace of mind? Give us a call or email us at 1-800–988–2378 firstname.lastname@example.org